Sustainable Forest Management - Economic, social, environmental and cultural criteria and requirements
The Australian Standard® for Sustainable Forest Management (AS 4708) provides forest managers with economic, social, environmental and cultural criteria and requirements that support management of forests for products and services.
It is intended for voluntary application to any forests in Australia being managed for the production of products and services, whether native or planted forests. Independent, third-party certification against the Australian Standard® for Sustainable Forest Management provides a clear and unambiguous statement that wood production in a particular defined forest area was managed in accordance with a set of predetermined and clearly defined environmental, economic, social and cultural performance requirements that supports sustainable management of forests.
The Australian Forestry Standard package comprises of three documents which are available via the links below:
- The Australian Standard® for Sustainable Forest Management – Economic, social, environmental and cultural criteria and requirements (AS 4708:2013)
- AS 4708 GN01:2013 Sustainable Forest Management – Guidance for the certification of forest management
- AS 4708 GN02:2013 Sustainable Forest Management – Guidance for the certification of group forest management
- Directive–Certification of Group Forest Management
- Interpretation AS 4708:2013 Clause 5.6 Chemical Use
AS 4708:2013 is the primary normative document which defines the nine criteria and 57 requirements that the AS 4708 Standards Reference Committee has agreed upon.
The two guidance notes have been provided to assist in the use of the Standard by forest managers and owners, certification bodies and other interested stakeholders. The material presented is based on professional and technical advice for practical forest management and reflects the operational level activities of forest management.
AS 4708:2013 replaces AS 4708:2007 which has now been withdrawn. All new certifications after 23 August 2013 must be against AS4708-2013. Transitional provisions apply to existing certifications. AS 4708:2007 and the three supplements which accompanied that version of the Standard can be accessed from the links below:
CAUTION AS4708–2007 HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN
- AS 4708:2007 -- The Australian Forestry Standard
- AS 4708:2007 -- The Australian Forestry Standard Supplement 1 Guidance for medium and large native forest ownerships
- AS 4708:2007 -- The Australian Forestry Standard Supplement 2 Guidance for medium and large plantation ownerships
- AS 4708:2007 -- The Australian Forestry Standard Supplement 3 Guidance for small native forest and plantation ownerships